Monday 3 March 2008

The positve effect

There is a play called 'An Inspector calls' In this play the playwright shows how we, human beings can have a negative effect on people, whether we know them or not. In this play, a young girl dies and the inspector shows how it is a whole families fault, because of things like, not being nice to her in a shop etc... and it all led to her suicide.
However we, as Christians are called ton be a positive effect on everyone we meet. This at times seems to be a really hard thing to do. The fact that sometimes just by smiling to the people we pass in the street can have a really positive effect on someone, or we could just walk past and not care how we effect the person we are walking past.

This all reminds me of a great story, told by perhaps the greatest story-teller of all time, Jesus.

The good Samaritan... a man is laying half dead on the street after being mugged and attacked. All manner of people walked past this man, one being a priest, yet the only person who help this man was a Samaritan who wasn't even liked by the person he was helping because he was a Samaritan. Yet this man helped him and looked after him and paid for all his care.
It strikes me as weird that nobody of the man's race or religion helped him, they just crossed over the road and left the poor man for dead. How is it that someone who is born an enemy of the dieing man is the only one willing to help him?

Are we like that? Do we have a negative effect on people? Do we cross the road when another human being is in need?

OR

Do we be JESUS in that situation? Do we have a POSITIVE effect on people?

I have set myself a challenge, that for this week I'm going to try really hard to have a positive effect upon everyone I meet, everyone I pass on the street or in a shop and everyone I come into contact with in some way or another. I' not doing this alone, I have God beside me prompting and guiding me and I have a friend who has decided to do this with me and on Sunday we are going to tell each other how everything went with the challenge!

When you are kind to others, you help yourself;
when you're cruel to others, you hurt yourself.
Proverbs 11:17 (The Message)

3 comments:

Marta Ager said...

You should have an interesting blog after Sunday!!God bless you both.

Anonymous said...

Keep positive Clare xxx

Sue Woodgate said...

How did it go?