Monday 12 March 2007

Self-leadership?!

Well I have got to a point today where I really feel God is trying to say something to me... I have just read a daily devotional and the next chapter in the book I've been reading 'Courageous leadership' by Bill Hybels... all about, well you guessed it Self-leadership. The thing that I have just worked out is God has been trying to tell em this for ages and all throughout today He has placed people to tell me this without them knowing it or me until now.

At work today God used a maintenance man to talk to me on my break and although it was not overtly about God and was about sport. It made me think. This man told me that I needed to lead a healthy life, to exercise and eat well- 'the right food'. He told me that I should find a sport that I could do which required self-discipline. This man I only met today and yet he was right on the ball. He could have been talking about sport or my spiritual life.

My body is God's temple and I should look after it and keep it healthy both physically and spiritually. It was that the man was so right that I need to discipline myself and both these books talk about how leaders require discipline to lead themselves first and then lead others.
We cannot be effective leaders for others, unless we lead ourselves first. Unless we spend time refreshing, renewing and sacrificially giving ourselves to God first, how can we inspire others to do the same. A leader is only as good as his/her self-leadership.

We first must lead ourselves towards God, towards our goal and then give to others the leadership that they require of us.

I have finally listen and got God's message for me, after He graciously shouted it at me all day, don't make God have to do that to you.

But nobody, NOBODY, can do this but you! Only you can lead yourself and discipline yourself.
Read and consider 1 Samuel 30.

'David strengthened himself in the Lord God.'
1 Samuel 30:6

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clare, you are so right! If we do not look after ourselves how can we advise others.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing to myself right now, after reading your blog thinking: "Knock knock..."

(I think God has an (metaphoric)iron frying pan that he knocks "stubborn" people over the head with sometimes...lol)

Thanks for giving me "yet another" wake up call...

God Bless.