Wednesday 31 January 2007

This is my Story, this is my song...

We all have stories to tell. Past journeys, both good and bad to tell. No to shout out to praise the Lord for all He is and has done. To tell people, to encourage them, that 'if I can do it, so can you!'

When I began my blog I didn't really want to be very personal, i just wanted to encourage people. Yet I have had comments from people wanting to know more.

So this is my story:

I became a christian at the age of 6 and a Junior solider in the Salvation Army when I was 7. I have grown up in a christian family and at Ashford Salvation Army Christian Centre (not always know as that).

At my church there was one lady who was such an inspiration and influence to me, who has now been promoted to glory. Her name was Mary and she taught me how to play the Cornet. When I was about 11-12years old she was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease and even throughout that time she continued to teach me. Now I'm older I wish that I had know her better, but the time I did know her helped me to keep going throughout the toughest times.

In secondary school I was a high flyer, but I also have dyslexia and was badly bullied. To be truthful I was a bit of a geek. I had ambition I wanted to become a Doctor and I also thought that God did too. I got the GCSE's to go for the A levels needed for this.

However during sixth form I suffered from depression, which I kept silent from everyone, even my friends and family. Soon my friends noticed and began to help me with this. That didn't stop it from effecting my grades. I took A levels in Art, Biology, Chemistry and Physics (Biology was my best GCSE subject with units being A*, overall awarded a BB for double Science). When I went to get my As level results, I knew I had failed, but I didn't know how badly. I received 'U's (ungraded) for all of them!

I was devastated. I blamed God! I didn't go to church a lot. I felt I had lost my dream. I thought God had destroyed it.

Slowly with the help of some wonderful and very wise leaders and friends I came back. Ian and Sue Woodgate kept encouraging me and I started going to church more and more. I started loving God again. I started wanting to learn more about Him.

Since that moment I have grown so much in Jesus' love. I went to retreats where I was baptised by the Holy Spirit. From there I became a senior solider.

Two Soul Survivors later and a lot of work on me by God and this is the Clare you now see writing before you.

As for where did I train for ministry... I haven't. Hopefully I will be training at The William Booth College in London to become an officer in the Salvation Army, in about 2 years from now.

Well... that's my story and this is my song:

'Praising the Saviour all the day long!'

No comments: